As the new year approaches, health enthusiasts get excited for yet another reason to up the ante on their health regiments. How so? By taking the necessary steps to detox the body from the previous season’s baggage. The new year is always a great times of year to place extra emphasis on the body’s natural detoxification systems, especially on the liver, colon, kidneys, lungs and lymph.
With this in mind, the thought of detoxing can be quite overwhelming and intimidating to many, especially if you are a detoxing virgin. I am here to help you understand how detoxing works, the physiological benefits along with some natural and gentle tips to help you get started.
First things first, take a moment to answer these questions:
- Do you feel bloated and congested?
- Have you gained unwanted pounds even though you are not eating more food?
- Do you feel tired and low in energy?
- Has your digestion worsened?
- Are your hair, skin and nails dry, cracked, brittle and weak?
- Do you frequently get mouth sores, yeast infections, urinary tract infections, and unusual allergies?
- Do you feel foggy and out of sorts?
- Do you regularly experience muscle soreness and achy joints?
- Do you have a history of smoking and/or drug abuse?
If you answered YES to 3 or more of these questions, your body’s detoxification systems are in need of some gentle support.
Click here to check out my 10-day Metabolic Detox Program.
How does detoxing work?
Fortunately, our bodies have built-in detoxification systems to help us rid ourselves of these harmful chemicals. Detoxification is a completely normal process, in fact your body is constantly trying to neutralize and eliminate toxins through the major detoxifying organs.
However, as we age and face the current demands of a stressful, busy and sometimes not so healthy diet, our self-cleaning system becomes overloaded, clogged and sluggish. By supporting our main detoxification organs with specific foods, spices and herbs, you are able to reset and rebalance the body by with the nourishment, rest and support that it needs. Just as a car needs an annual tune up, so do our bodies.
Take another moment to reflect on how many YES answers you had from the questionnaire above. These symptoms are result of a more ‘toxic’ body, indicating it’s time to get on the detoxing bandwagon.
What are the benefits to detoxing?
Even if you have a great diet, detoxing is the perfect way to boost your immune system and protect yourself from nasty toxins. Research shows that detoxing may be the missing link to disease prevention, especially for immune-deficiency diseases like cancer, arthritis, diabetes chronic fatigue syndrome and Candida.
Additional benefits include:
- Weight loss
- Improved vitality and energy levels
- Clear skin of acne and eczema
- Improved circulation through purifying the liver, kidney and blood
- Enhanced mental clarity
- Improved sleep
- Enhanced performance and recovery from exercise
- Improved sex drive
3 Natural Detoxing Tips:
As a Holistic Nutritionist, I strongly believe in the healing power of natural foods. Follow my next 3 tips to help you get started on your detox.
#1 – Cayenne powder for your lungs
- Add a dash of organic cayenne pepper to your morning lemon water
- Cayenne is a tremendously beneficial spice to not only help boost metabolism, but also support the lung detoxification.
- It healing property is known as expectorant
#2 – Ginger root for your digestion
- Add a 2” knob of organic ginger root to your daily smoothie
- Fresh ginger root is one of nature’s most powerful anti-microbials
- Anti-microbials help kill and fight off toxic viruses and bacteria that their way into our food and water supply
- Ginger root is very soothing and healing to the digestive tract
#3 – Turmeric for your liver
- Add a heaping tsp of organic turmeric powder to your daily smoothie
- Turmeric’s active component is curcumin, which is known to help increase the production of bile, while increasing the breakdown of cancer causing compounds that attack the liver
If you are looking for some additional guidance, support and motivation, check out my 10-day Metabolic Detox Program.
Click here for details and registration