When your mood is low, it can be due to a variety of variables. Perhaps low blood sugar, lack of sleep, lack of circulation, dehydration, stagnation, etc. The general rule of thumb to follow when feeling in the dumps is to focus on improving these 3 key things:
- Oxygen – lack of O2 in the blood will further promote lethargy and sluggish feelings
- Stimulation – physical stagnation decreases blood circulation, which slows down oxygen delivery to the brain and muscles for fuel
- Glucose – glucose is food for the brain. When blood sugar is low, the brain takes a hit.
So, what to do? If you are feeling like you need a little pick me up, practice these 3 things:
- Take 5 deep belly breaths to increase your oxygen
- Go for a 2-minute walk or stretch to stimulate circulation
- Consume at least one of these mood boosting foods to balance glucose levels
#1 – Handful of almonds
- Almonds have a nutritional property known as tryptophan.
- Tryptophan is an amino acid that is a precursor to serotonin, the body’s feel good neurotransmitter
- Grab a small handful of almonds and munch away your sour mood
- Or try making these Rawliday Superfood Cookies made from almond meal
#2 – Half of an Avocado
- Avocados are one of nature’s nutritionally complete superfoods
- One ripe medium avocado gives you at least 6g of protein, 7g of fiber and 5g of healthy fats to help stabilize blood sugar and give your brain the essential fats it needs to stay on point.
- This creamy fruit can be eaten on it’s own with a spoon, sprinkled with sea salt and hemp/sunflower seeds or blended with other superfoods to make chocolate avocado pudding
#3 – Green smoothie or juice
- It’s no secret that green anything is good for you (well almost anything)
- Green vegetables are loaded with chlorophyll – a chemical compound that collects light and uses the light to make energy in plants.
- When humans consume chlorophyll, it increases hemoglobin count, a molecule that helps transport oxygen throughout the body.
- Take 2-minutes to whip up a green smoothie in the morning and consume it when you feel like a mood boost in your busy day
#4 – Two small squares of Dark Chocolate
- Sure, it tastes good, but it also provides an instant boost in concentration, mood and even improves blood flow to the brain, helping you feel more vibrant and energized.
- Dark chocolate is also filled with magnesium, an essential mineral to help calm the nervous system.
- Skip the sugary milk chocolate blends and go directly for the darkest organic (highest percentage of cocoa) chocolate you can find. 1-2 small squares of is more than enough for a pick me up.
#5 – Green tea beverage
- At only 35mg of caffeine per cup, this ancient Chinese remedy has been used to help treat depression for centuries.
- With a mild caffeine boost, green tea also contains l-theanine, an amino acid known for its mood modulating properties.
- Steep a cup, and pair with a mood boosting snack above and get a double dose of happiness
#6 – Inner-J Plant Based Protein Bar
- Inner-J is one of my favourite plant based protein bars
- With minimal natural sugars, this bar is packed with plant based protein and fiber to keep you satiated for hours
- Grab a bar on your way out the door and keep it on hand for an afternoon pick me up