Do you struggle with finding the perfect combo of flours to make the best tasting gluten free cookie? These gluten free cookies are so dewy and moist, not just from the butternut squash, but from the flour combination. I used a combination of light (arrowroot), medium (oat) and heavy (coconut) flours make this irresistible cookie.
These are also nut free! But, what about the tiger nuts?
Interesting fact! Tiger nuts are not actually nuts. They fall under the category of a ‘tuber’ (similar to a plant root). Tiger nuts are one of nature’s most fibre-rich superfoods, containing 41% in each nut. This appetite curbing snack is also high in phosphorus, iron and magnesium. This recipe calls for ‘skinned’ tiger nuts, but you can also use fully intact skin tiger nuts. You should be able to find them at your local health food store.
- Enjoy 1-2 cookies for fibre rich, appetite curbing snack
- Grab 4 cookies for a satiating breakfast when you’re in a rush or on the go
- Relax into the evening with 1-2 cookies for a sweet tasting dessert
- ALWAYS pair with a glass of dairy free alternative milk, my favourite is Oat Milk
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup arrowroot flour
- 4 tbsp baking powder
- ⅔ cup organic brown sugar
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup butternut squash puree
- 3 beaten eggs
- Garnish: Tiger nuts
- Set your oven to bake at 350 degrees and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Place all dry ingredients (including chocolate chips) into a large bowl and mix well until combined.
- In a separate large bowl, crack and beat the 3 eggs. Then add butternut squash puree and mix well with a spoon until thoroughly combined. Add vanilla extract, and maple syrup and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients in the dry ingredients bowl. Use a large wooden spoon to fold the mixture until you get a paste like consistency and all ingredients are mixed.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop about 2 heaping tablespoons of the cookie batter into your hands and roll into a ball, then place on baking tray. Flatten out using the spoon or your hands to about ½ inch thick. Garnish with 2-4 tiger nuts per cookie.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes. Let cool for about 15 minutes. Enjoy immediately or store in fridge in tightly sealed tupperware for up to 4-5 days.