With the colder weather, it’s important to nourish yourself naturally with warming, filling foods. Eating according to the seasons is essential for maintaining optimal health and digestion. Did you know that fresh, raw foods in the winter time can actually be aggravating to your intestinal tract? Choose your meals wisely, and warm up with this creamy pasta dish.
BONUS! This recipe is also gluten free. As a pasta lover myself, I try to stay away from gluten containing pasta’s to keep me from experiencing that dreaded food coma. One of my favourite Gluten Free pastas brands is Maria’s Homestyle Noodles.
Naturally Nora Tips:
- This recipe can be made with any type of pasta. I am obsessed with Maria’s Homestyle Noodles
- You are not bound to lentil pasta, other options include rice pasta, spaghetti squash, soba noodles…
- We are lucky enough to have a myriad of pasta options at our local grocery store!
- Choose your favourite pasta alternative, and tailer this recipe to your liking.
Leftover Consumption Options:
- When I make this dish, I like to store the leftovers in separate containers (pasta and sauce separately).
- This gives me the opportunity to consume both pasta and sauce in a variety of ways.
- Pasta: can be warmed and consumed on its own with some pesto sauce or olive oil topped with hemp hearts and nutritional yeast.
- Sauce: can be warmed and enjoyed over rice or a bed the Best Ground Meat Recipe for another complete meal.
- 3 cups dried lentil pasta
- 2 tbs stripped or grated raw ginger
- 1 broccoli head, stems removed and floret’s chopped
- 3 heads of bok choy, chopped
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup braggs liquid aminos
- GARNISH: nutritional yeast & hemp hearts
- Boil your lentil pasta in a medium size pot until cooked (check package cooking instructions)
- Strain pasta and rinse well, set aside while you cook the sauce.
- Add coconut oil to a large, deep frying pan and warm until oil is melted
- Add ginger and cook over medium heat for about 1 minute
- Add chopped broccoli and braggs liquid aminos, cover and let cook for about 3 minutes (stirring occasionally)
- Add chopped bok choy, mix well, cover and cook for another 1 minute
- Remove lid, mix well again then add coconut milk, peanut butter and chopped portobello mushrooms
- Mix well until peanut butter is blended into milk and it’s nice and saucy
- Cover until sauce comes to a boil, then simmer for another 2 minutes, mixing occasionally
- Add spinach and mix well until all spinach has wilted (no more than 1 minute)
- Remove from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes
- Combine cooked lentil pasta into large, deep frying pan with the sauce and mix well until all noodles are covered.
- Place in individual serving bowls and garnish with 1 tbsp of nutritional yeast and 1 tsp of hemp hearts.