Lentils are a tasty legume that are packed with a protein punch. With a whopping 18g per cup, you can be sure to be satiated for up to 3 hours after consumption. The benefits of lentils are ten fold; from lowering cholesterol, to stabilizing blood sugar and improving digestion, you can be certain this recipe is naturally nourishing. It even boosts your energy. How? Lentils are a complex carbohydrate high in fiber, which help increase steady, slow-burning energy. Lentils are also high in iron, which help transport oxygen throughout your body that is key to energy production and metabolism.
Naturally Nora Tips:
- Breakfast: I typically recommend a protein packed breakfast to keep energy levels up throughout the morning. Consume about a cup of this salad for breakfast.
- Lunch or Dinner: for a heartier meal, pair about 1 cup of this lentil salad with 4-6oz of your favourite fish. My Lemon Pepper Baked Salmon is a nice compliment.
- 2 15-ounce cans lentils rinsed (BPA Free) or 3 cups cooked brown or green lentils (see Tip below)
- 1⁄3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin cold pressed olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Whisk lemon juice, dill, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl.Gradually whisk in oil.
- Add bell pepper, cucumber, onion, lentils and toss to coat.
- TIP: To cook lentils place in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until just tender, about 20 minutes for green lentils and 30 minutes for brown. Drain and rinse under cold water.