Chickpeas are known for both their high amounts of carbohydrate and protein. As a legume, they are extremely high in fibre, 13g in just 1 cup. Remember, fibre is like a broom that sweeps your digestive tract clean, helping regulate bowel movements and maintain digestive health. This powerhouse food is not only great for vegetarians as a high source of protein, but also for athletes or anyone looking to gain a boost of energy from it’s carbohydrates.
Naturally Nora Tips:
Pre workout: consume about 1 cup of this salad at least 1 hour prior to a strength and conditioning workout to give your muscles the fuel it needs to maximize your workout.
Post workout: consume about 1-2 cups of this salad within 1 hour after working out to replenish and repair your muscles (your muscles require both protein and carbohydrates for repair).
Appetizer: serve as a large salad at a spring or summer dinner party.
- ½ small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup ripe red & yellow tomatoes, halved
- 1 can Eden Organics chickpeas, rinsed
- Handful Fresh Mint, finely chopped
- ¼ cup sheep feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- ½ fresh red chilli pepper, diced
- To taste: Sea salt & black pepper
- Place olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and red chili pepper in a bowl and mix until all ingredients are thoroughly combined, set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, add chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, feta cheese and mix well
- Pour dressing onto mixed salad and add chopped mint
- Mix well until chickpea salad is covered with dressing
- Allow to marinate for a little while and serve at room temperature.