I’m about to throw all your toast notions out the door! Open your mind and open your mouth to the new toast variation of 2016.
Made from sweet potatoes, this toast is moist, dense, sweet and can be combined with your favourite toppings to nourish whatever craving you are having that day. If you’re a sweet potato lover like me, make sure you also try out my Sweet Potato Fries.
Naturally Nora Tips:
Selecting Sweet Potatoes:
- The best tasting sweet potatoes are ones that are firm and free of any cracks, bruises or soft spots.
- By selecting the best sweet potato, you are also reaping its highest nutritional value
Consumption Options: This is where the fun begins!
- Sweet tooth or breakfast option: top with your favourite nut butter and sliced banana
- Savoury lunch option: top with smoked salmon or tuna and garnish with sprouts
- Snack option: enjoy the toast just as it is with a sprinkle of hemp hearts and sea salt to kick it up a notch
- 1 large organic sweet potato, sliced widthwise (approximately ½ inch)
- 2 tbsp melted organic butter (if dairy free can use coconut oil)
- Pinch sea salt and pepper
- Optional: ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Optional: 1 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- Grease or place parchment paper on a baking sheet
- Slice sweet potato lengthwise about ½ inch thick (throw out the ends)
- Depending on the size of the potato, you may get 8-10 circular toasts
- Place sweet potato circular toast on a baking sheet spread out evenly with no overlaps
- Place melted butter, salt/pepper and (optional) maple syrup & cinnamon in a small bowl and mix well
- Brush each ring with 1-2 brushes of the butter mixture
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until they are fork tender, flipping them half way through.
- You may wish to cook them longer to get them crusty.
- They will cook faster if they are cut thin, so keep an eye on them if you want them thin.
- Garnish with your favourite toppings and ENJOY!
- The cooked sweet potato circular toast will stay fresh in the fridge in a tightly sealed container for up to 4 days.
- Reheat in oven or toaster prior to consumption.